fall flavoured avo toast
Ahh, avocado toast! Just the thought of it has me looking forward to breakfast (or dinner ...). Let's be real, it's such a versatile meal, whether you're having it as breakfast, dinner, or a snack, there are so many ways to transform a piece of freshly baked bread that's been toasted to perfection (guys, it's an art)!
As fall flavours take over every menu, it may be time to transition your avocado toast so that it suits the season.
who is ready to toast to the long weekend?!
what you'll need
- 1-2 slices of fresh bread (artisan bread, sourdough, rye, wheat, mulitgrain, GF)
- 1/2 rip avocado, peeled seeded and sliced (or mashed)
- 1/8 cup greek yogurt (or coconut yogurt)
- 1/2 butter nut squash, thawed (I used a prepared variety)
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, rinsed & dried
- 1 tbsp coconut butter (artisana)
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- maple syrup (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Rinse chickpeas & remove excess moisture with paper towel. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- In a small glass bowl, melt coconut butter & cashew butter until smooth. Pour over chickpeas & toss to coat. Transfer coated chickpeas to a baking sheet. Place in the oven for approximately 15 minutes. Half way through baking, give the tray a little toss to ensure the chickpeas become evenly crisp.
- Warm a cast iron skillet over medium heat & spray with coconut oil. Add thawed butternut squash to the pan and sprinkle with cinnamon & a pinch of salt. Cook until pieces become golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Toast your bread & spread each slice with with greek yogurt. Top one slice with avocado and the other with cinnamon squash & roasted chickpeas. Drizzle with maple syrup & serve!
This has become a fall favourite in our house! I hope you all love it as much as I do.